Skip to main content

I have time to blog now :)

     I am 32 years young. I am not a lazy person. I have juggled two jobs, and worked full time while putting myself through school. After receiving my Bachelor's and California Teaching Credential, I landed my first teaching job. During my first year teaching, I decided I also needed to begin working on my Master's in Curriculum and Instruction. Sound familiar?!
    So when I was finally finished with everything, why was I still so tired? This last year of teaching I was completely exhausted. I had little time to spend with my boyfriend, and when I was able to spend time with him I would have preferred to take a nap for 3 days. I came to revelation. It's because...you're in for a shock here....there is always too much to do when you are a teacher.

  •     Grading homework
  •     Scheduling something or other or taking PDs because you still can't 
  •     Emails, paperwork, etc. 
  •     Writing lesson plans! Writing FUN lesson plans! 
  •     LEARNING EVERYTHING THOROUGHLY BEFORE TEACHING IT
  •     Making supplies
  •     Lurking on teacher blogs to see what other innovative educators are doing
  •     crying into a Scholastic newsletter (OK, maybe too much info)
  •     etc. 

This is me on my second year of teaching. Cute, right? This picture is a total catfish, and I definitely was in that classroom way too late that night. 

 After some twists and turns in my career, I have found myself no longer in the classroom. WHAT?!? Don't worry, I am still working in education. But now I am finding myself with renewed energy, and feeling guilty for the lack of weekend homework that I have to grade. So, in my spare time, I want to dedicate myself to making things easier for other teachers who may or may not be exhausted. So please, follow my blog for tips and tricks and resources to help make your life easier! 
  
 Also, any suggestions for a new blogger are always much appreciated! I look forward to making some new friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Freebie! Depth and Complexity icon graphic organizer for SCIENCE

So, for the first time in forever I am currently only working one job. And since that job isn't in the classroom per se, I HAVE PLENTY OF FREE TIME!! Whoo-hoo!  What am I going to do with my free time? Make resources for someone else's classroom.           I loved using Depth and Complexity icons in my classroom. Here's a graphic organizer that you can easily use grades K-6 after teaching the icons to your students. You can print out one bajillion of these and make booklets for students to take their notes. Or, you can upload them into your OneNote or Class Notebook and save some trees and headaches. Once the PDF is uploaded into a OneNote, you can make as many copies as you want for different reading passages. The students can use an inking feature to write on them or simply type over the PDF, but now they are stored to your cloud and are accessible ANYWHERE. You can email them to parents and send feedback immediately. Anyhow, do what you want with them. Here's t…

Technology in the classroom

When I was teaching, I often incorporated technology into the classroom. My students LOVED math, because after they mastered a concept through Kagan Structures (that'll have to be another post), we played Kahoot! For those of you who haven't ever used Kahoot, it's such a great tool. You can either search a large database of already created quizzes, or create a quiz for your students yourself. I loved creating SBAC review concept quizzes that I could use all year long. 
Create Kahoot Quizzes here
Once you created something specifically for your classroom, you could save it and use it year after year. I found that keeping myself organized was much easier online than in a file cabinet in real life. I would often find myself busy and not physically put something where it was supposed to be. That's why, hands down, my favorite educational tool of ALL TIME issssssss......OneNote. 
OneNote is an Office 365 tool that is free to teachers and students. It's an online bi…